Welcome to the webpage of the Maulide Group at the University of Vienna.
We are a dynamic, international and enthusiastic group passionate about (organic) chemistry. Feel free to browse through the links on the left side to find out who we are and read about our research and publications.
- September: Interview/Portrait of Nuno Maulide, sitting by the piano, at the national radio ORF-Ö1. Listen to it here!
- September: after succesfully defending his M.Sc. thesis (featuring a gold-catalysed synthesis of indenes - publication #70, highlighted here in Chemistry Views), Alexander Preinfalk starts his Ph.D. in the group.
- September: A new manuscript detailing a mild and functional group-tolerant method to remove the 8-aminoquinoline directing group is accepted for publication in Chemistry - A European Journal.
- September: Our most recent Angewandte paper, on a 2+2+2 pyridine synthesis, comes out online. Read the Press Release of the University of Vienna here!
- July 19, 2016: A paper gets accepted in Chemistry - A European Journal and one of our recent publications is highlighted in SYNFACTS!
- July 10, 2016: Portugal wins the European Cup! Nuno is overjoyed :-)
- July, 2016: Three new co-workers join the team. We welcome Mirjam Chytil, Lucas Loss and James Neuhaus to the team!
- June 30, 2016: Press Release of the University of Vienna on the latest JACS paper. Read here the newspiece on national newspaper "Der Standard"!
- June 22, 2016: Our paper on enantioconvergent Fukuyama coupling of racemic organozinc reagents has been selected as Synfact of the Month!
- June 16, 2016: Our recent paper on transition metal-free amination of amides has been accepted for publication in JACS!
- Nuno Maulide will hold his Antrittsvorlesung (Inaugural Lecture) on June 8th, 2016 at 18h00 at the University of Vienna main building. The lecture, entitled "When Science becomes an Art: Adventures in Organic Synthesis" will also include live piano music. Don't miss it! Informations and (free) registration here.
- May 23, 2016: Supaporn Niyomchon (Boom) successfully defends her Ph.D. thesis and graduates as student #6 of the team. Congratulations, Dr. Niyomchon!
- May 20,2016: Our JOC Synopsis on the electrophilic activation of amides is now online!
- April 27, 2016: Our latest Angewandte publication is online. Read the Press release of the University of Vienna (only available in German), about the "Lord of the Rings in Chemistry", here.
- April 4, 2016: More videos from the series. Listen to Nuno explaining about Cellulose and Sugar!
- March 21, 2016: The "Chemie ist In" series kicks back with more videos about chemistry. Listen to Nuno talking about oxidation, Batman and Robin here!
- March 20, 2016: More Media attention for our research. Check out a piece in national newspaper "Der Standard" about the heterocycle synthesis Nature Communications paper here.
And listen to Nuno speaking about the new method for deracemization of chiral nucleophiles at ORF's radio station Ö1 here (only in German).
- March 15, 2016: Our Nature Communications paper is online. This is our first collaborative paper with the Gonzalez Group (theoretical chemistry), on a series of metal-free cycloadditions to prepare complex heterocycles.
Check out the Press Release of the University here: When Chemists play with Lego!
- March 8, 2016: Press Release of the University on our ACIE paper!
- March 6, 2016: Our two latest publications are online - on CEJ about an atom economical hydrative arylation of unactivated alkynes and on ACIE about the first Pd-catalysed deracemization of chiral racemic organometallic reagents.
- February 28, 2016: Our EJOC article (Publication #60), after having been among the top-5 most downloaded articles, is now highlighted as #1 of "Hottest Articles in Photocatalysis" by Wiley! Screenshot.
- January 29, 2016: Good news sometimes come in pairs: our recent work on Asymmetric cross-coupling of chiral racemic organometallic reagents has just been accepted for publication in Angewandte Chemie, and a new connective synthesis of heterocycles (cooperation with the Gonzalez group) is accepted for publication in Nature Communications!
- January 11-18, 2016: We welcome several new Post-Docs. Dr. Jeremy MERAD (University of Marseille), Dr. Boris MARYASIN (LMU Munich), Dr. Dainis KALDRE (McGill University, Montreal) and Dr. Catarina RODRIGUES (FF-UL, Portugal, Exchange Post-Doctoral fellow) join us at the start of the New Year.
Welcome to the team!
- January 2016: The Maulide Group receives an ERC Consolidator Grant. Read more about this in the Press release of the University. Truly great news to start the New Year!
- December 11, 2015: The Maulide Group goes for the annual Christmas Party. This year we enjoyed a visit to Burgenland and a wonderful dinner at Kloster Spitz. A great time with all the team and even some former group members that joined us for the event!
- December 5, 2015: Dr. Paul Aillard joins us as a Post-Doc. Welcome to the Maulide group!!
- December 4, 2015: Official Press Release announcing the successful extension of the FWF-funded Doctoral Programme "MolTag", of which our group is part. Opening Ceremony on December 9, at Klosterneuburg.
- November 7, 2015: Nuno Maulide features in an interview to the national journal "Die Presse". Read the 1-page interview here and find out why, without Chemistry, we would be back in the Stone Age...
- October 23, 2015: Our asymmetric cyclopropanation is highlighted in SYNFACTS. Check it out here!
- October 18, 2015: Three videos about chemistry for the young public, featuring Nuno Maulide, are online on Youtube. Click and listen to/watch explanations of the chemistry in Nylon, air or acids and bases in simple terms.
- October 11, 2015: Saad Shaaban wins 2nd prize for the best oral presentation at the YoungChem 2015. Earlier in September, Antonio Misale had won the best poster award at the ISySyCat in Evora. Congratulations!
- October 3, 2015: Nuno Maulide is featured in the ORF show "Newton" talking about Chirality. Watch it here (link available for a short time).
Also read more about Nuno in the magazine "Forschen and Entdecken" online!
- October 1, 2015: The group welcomes several new members: Damien Dewez joined us from the Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium) as a PhD student in September. Immo Klose and Alexander Preinfalk join us as our first M.Sc. students from the University of Vienna. Finally, Rafael Gomes joins us for 4 months from the Faculdade de Farmácia of the University of Lisbon. Welcome all!
At the same time, we say farewell to two of our Post-Docs: Dr. Anais Jolit and Dr. Langui Xie. All the best and stay in touch!
- September 3, 2015: Nuno features in a 33-minute show called "Science.Talk" on ORF-III. Watch it here! (link only available for a short time)
- August 3, 2015: Tobias Stopka (RWTH Aachen, Germany) joins us as a visiting Ph.D. student from the Niggemann group. Welcome, Tobias!
- July 28, 2015: Dr. Alberto Oppedisano (Ph.D. University of Turin, Italy) joins our group as a Post-Doctoral researcher. Welcome to the Maulide group!
- July 12, 2015: Nuno Maulide receives the EurJOC Young Researcher Award at the ESOC in Lisbon and delivers a talk and a piano concert afterwards! Read a report here.